How To Make Leftover Turkey Enchiladas
Make these turkey enchiladas using turkey leftovers with these easy steps:
- Begin with mixing all the ingredients of the turkey mixture in a mixing bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- Pour some enchilada sauce to the bottom of the baking dish or casserole dish, just enough to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Put some of the turkey mix in the middle of the corn tortillas. Don't forget to leave some space since you will need to wrap the filling in the tortilla.
- Place the enchiladas seam down in the casserole dish until the dish is covered with enchiladas.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle some shredded cheese, enough to cover everything.
- Bake the leftover turkey enchiladas in your preheated oven until the cheese on top starts to color, bubble, and fully melt.
- Garnish it with some sour cream and fresh cilantro. Serve and enjoy while warm!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Cooked Turkey - this is an excellent and delicious recipe to make use of your Thanksgiving turkey leftovers. You can chop the turkey meat into dice or shred them for this turkey enchilada casserole.
- Whole Kernel Corn - adds some sweetness and great texture to this dish. You can easily get a can of whole kernel corn in the store, or you can also use frozen corn. Make sure to thaw it overnight before using it.
- Green Chilis - to add some spice kick and added Mexican flavor. Green chiles give a fresher pepper or spice flavor to this recipe. You can swap it for chili powder.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - Cheese - can easily be found in any grocery store. You can also use Monterey Jack cheese which can be more common in Mexican cuisines.
- Enchilada Sauce - you can use any of your favorite brands of enchilada sauce, or if you have an extra 15 minutes, you can also make your own Homemade Enchilada Sauce.
- Corn Tortillas - we recommend using a 6-inch corn tortilla for this recipe, or you can also make some Homemade Corn Tortillas. Flour tortillas can be a great alternative for this.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you keep tortillas from getting soggy in enchiladas?
To avoid the soggy tortillas, you can fry the tortillas before using them in your turkey enchilada casserole. Frying it a little bit will help prevent the tortillas from soaking up the sauce directly.
Can you freeze leftover turkey enchiladas?
This Leftover Turkey Enchiladas can easily be stored in the freezer. Cover it tightly with stretch film or plastic wrap, and it can last up to 3 months in the freezer. If you plan to store it in the refrigerator, you can keep it for up to 5 days.
How do you reheat turkey enchiladas?
To reheat the turkey enchiladas, just cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 20-30 minutes. You won't need to thaw frozen enchiladas too; you can just bake it directly for 45 minutes covered with a foil. Don't forget to bake it for an additional 5 minutes uncovered to give it an excellent cheese crust top.
You Might Also Like:
Collection Of Recipes You Should Explore
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try