How To Make Smoked Salmon 7 Layer Dip with Bagel Chips
How To Assemble Smoked Salmon 7 Layer Dip
This dip is fairly easy to make. Don’t forget to wrap your pan with plastic wrap before you start laying out the ingredients. And follow the simple step-by-step process, creating delicious layers one by one. The bottom layer should look like this: smoked salmon, cream cheese, red onion, and dill and lemon zest mixture. The top layer should look like this: smoked salmon, capers, and cream cheese. Set it then finish off with scallions and everything bagel seasoning.
How To Store Smoked Salmon Dip
This perfect potluck recipe can be simply stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. So you can make it beforehand and keep it refrigerated until you need to serve it for your guests. However, we don’t recommend freezing it. Dips containing cream cheese don’t hold up well in the freezer.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Smoked Salmon - the slightly salty and smokiness of the smoked salmon will give body to the flavor of this great appetizer
- Cream Cheese - aside from keeping everything together, its creamy texture and milky taste with a bit of acidity balances the flavor of this recipe
- Red Onion - unlike the other varieties of onions, the red onion has a sweeter taste that complements the other flavor components of this delicious dip
- Dill - the combination of salmon, cream cheese, and dill sounds like an absolute perfect brunch already. You may always find this citrusy herb paired with salmon but you can also substitute it with fennel leaves or tarragon since both herbs work well with the flavor of salmon.
- Lemons - we’ll be using the lemon zest for that burst of freshness but less of the acidity.
- Capers - always a lovely addition to salmon recipes. Capers add a salty and briny flavor to every bite. Although it can be substituted with chopped olives, we highly recommend using capers, you won’t regret it!
- Scallions - aside from its beautiful green color as a garnish, it also adds that peppery and strong herby flavor.
- Bagels - every great dip needs a perfect vessel. You can use your favorite store-bought bagels or try making these: Homemade Bagels, or keto-friendly Fathead Bagels.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning - optional but highly encouraged! You’ll use this for both the salmon dip and bagel chips. Aside from the extra crunch, they also give the nutty, garlicky, and oniony flavor.
Tips & Suggestions
- If you’re feeling a little lazy or not in the mood to form those perfectly defined layers, try combining all the ingredients and give them a thorough mix. You will have a spread just as delicious and flavorful. You can serve it on an actual bagel or make a gorgeous appetizer by spreading it over some toasted bread of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Smoked Salmon A Healthy Snack?
Whilst salmon itself is an amazing superfood packed with Omega-3 and quality protein, it also contains a significant amount of sodium and is quite high in calories. Especially when it’s consumed as a part of the 7-layer dip. Enjoy this rich smoky delicacy in moderation.
What Is The Best Cream Cheese To Use?
We go with the best widely available Philadelphia Cream Cheese. If you’re using cream cheese as a part of a recipe, there’s no need for anything extra special. As its special flavor or consistency will be lost among other ingredients. In this case, it’s best to stick with the basics.
You Might Also Like
Learn More About Potluck Recipes
Other Popular Dips You Should Try