How To Make Pumpkin Spice Ruffled Milk Pie
How To Prepare Phyllo Dough For Sweet Custard Pie
Begin with preparing the round cake pan with butter and parchment paper and preheating the oven. Then start placing a sheet of the phyllo dough on a flat and clean surface and brush it lightly with some butter. The sheet may tear but this is okay, just continue to brush it with some melted butter and place over another phyllo sheet and brush with butter again. To scrunch up the filo, you can use your fingers, creating some loose and rough ruffles. Roll the scrunched up phyllos and place them into the cake pan. Repeat the process until your prepared pan is all filled up.
How To Make Pumpkin Spice Custard
To make the custard, just whisk together the milk, cornstarch, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and all the spices. Whisk continuously until the brown sugar dissolves. Set aside until ready to pour over the baked phyllo dough.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Phyllo Dough - also known as filo and can be typically found in the frozen food section in the grocery stores. These thin sheets of dough are very crispy when baked, especially when brushed with butter.
- Milk - this will be the base for the pumpkin custard mixture. You can use any milk of your preference, you can also use milk alternatives such as almond milk, oat milk, etc.
- Canned Pumpkin Purée - this will give the sweet pumpkin flavor and also help thicken the custard mixture. Use your go-to canned pumpkin puree or if you prefer a homemade one, you can use this recipe: Pumpkin Puree.
Tips & Suggestions
- Thaw phyllo dough overnight in the refrigerator. As a last resort only, thaw at room temperature for five hours and use immediately.
- Hands should be as dry as possible when handling the dough.
- As you remove one sheet at a time, cover the remainder.
- If you tear a piece of phyllo by mistake, don't worry. You can patch pieces together to use in a middle layer of the pastry, and this will rarely if ever, show in the final product.
- Phyllo Pastry can be prepared in advance of creating the dish. Create your layers and bake at 180°C for 10 min or until your phyllo is golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use puff pastry instead of phyllo dough?
Puff pastry and phyllo are not interchangeable. Puff pasty contains butter and phyllo dough is made from flour, water, a little vinegar and oil.
How do you keep phyllo from getting soggy?
Keeping it in its original packaging, take the phyllo from the freezer and place it in the fridge. (Note: do not defrost at room temperature, as defrosting it too quickly will result in too much moisture, causing the sheets to become soggy). Only separate the sheets from one another once completely defrosted.
You Might Also Like:
Collection Of Recipes You Should Explore
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try