How To Make Keto Filet-o-Fish Burger
How To Make Keto Burger Buns From Scratch
Making your own keto-friendly burger buns is not as intimidating as it sounds. You can just follow these six simple and easy steps:
- In a food processor or blender, combine and pulse all the dry ingredients: almond flour, flaxseed meal, xantham gum, baking soda, and baking powder. Set it aside until ready to combine with the wet ingredients.
- Combine the cooled melted cheese mixture with the egg in a separate bowl; this will be your wet mixture.
- Pour in the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and pulse until a dough crumbly consistency.
- Unlike making the usual dough, you will just need to knead the dough quickly, and there is no need to knead it until smooth.
- Divide the dough into equal parts, form it into a regular burger bun, and brush it with some egg wash before baking.
- Bake your keto burger buns for 10-15 minutes or just until it’s golden brown at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Set aside until ready to assemble.
How To Prepare Keto-Friendly Fish Fillets
Start by setting up your assembly station: in separate shallow dishes, prepare the cleaned fish fillets, egg, and keto breadcrumbs or ground pork rinds. Dip the fish fillet into your egg wash, make sure to drench it thoroughly for the breadcrumbs to stick well. Coat it with the seasoned ground pork rinds; you can also press it down a little bit to help it to stick entirely. Fry the coated fish fillets at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until golden brown and crispy. You can use a wire rack or a shallow dish with paper towels to absorb the excess oil and keep it crispy.
How To Prepare Tartar Sauce
Making tartar sauce is super easy; you will just need to combine all the ingredients and set it aside until ready to use. You can also use this tartar recipe with other recipes and not just for keto-friendly dishes.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Mozzarella Cheese - has a chewy texture and can easily be formed after melting. Mozzarella is low-carb and mild in flavor, making it versatile and a pantry staple for keto dieters.
- Cream Cheese - another keto favorite! It is also easily melted and can infuse great flavor to your keto burger buns. Unlike mozzarella cheese, cream cheese is tangy, has a salty flavor, and has good fat content for your special diet.
- Eggs - you will be using eggs as a binder, egg wash for burger buns, and dredging for fish fillets. Eggs are also carb-free, making them a great keto diet staple!
- Almond Flour is a go-to flour for keto recipes because it has a higher fat content but low in carbohydrates.
- Flaxseed Meal - packed with dietary fiber that is low-carb and keto-friendly. It’s a thickening agent that helps bind all the ingredients together; it has a slightly nutty flavor for baked goods.
- Xantham Gum - in the absence of gluten, xanthan gum helps retain the bun structure and helps create some crust too.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda - these ingredients are leavening agents and will help the burger buns rise.
- White Fish Fillet - popular for frying because of its flakiness and firm texture. Whitefish fillet cooks quickly and has a mild taste, too, making it easy to season. You can use pollock, cod, or flounder.
- Pork Rinds - a typical low-carb snack for a keto diet. If you’re using unseasoned pork rinds, don’t forget to season it with some salt.
- Mayonnaise - an ideal base for your creamy and tangy dipping sauce. This is a pantry staple with many uses, especially in keto, since you get a good amount of fat with very low carb content. You can also whip your own mayonnaise in just 10 minutes using this recipe: Classic Mayonnaise.
- Capers - a great addition to the dipping sauce for its briny and salty burst of flavor. Although capers can be substituted with some green olives, we still recommend using capers for this tartar sauce recipe.
- Pickles - known for its sweet, salty, briny, and sour flavor profiles. It’s almost impossible to find a tartar sauce recipe without pickles because it adds a punch of flavor to your sauce. Feel free to use your favorite pickles, from dill pickles to gherkin pickles.
- Pickle Juice - aside from helping thinning out the sauce, pickle juice adds some zesty flavor with its acidic brine taste.
- Lemon Juice - add some fresh lemon juice to your tartar sauce for a refreshing and vibrant taste.
Tips & Suggestions
- Whenever adding fresh eggs to a heated or cooked wet mixture, always cool down the mixture before adding the egg. This will help avoid cooking the egg and having a scrambled egg consistency.
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of fish are keto-friendly?
Fish is an excellent protein option when you are on a keto diet. Pollock, salmon, flounder, cod, herring are just some of the keto-friendly fish types you can enjoy.
What fish is used in McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish?
McDonald’s uses Alaska Pollock fish. We also used pollock for this recipe to give you almost the same experience as the flaky white fish.
You Might Also Like:
Collection Of Recipes You Should Explore
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try