How To Make Red Velvet Mocha Lava Cake
How To Prepare Red Velvet Mocha Batter
Prepare a bain-marie, which is placing a heatproof bowl over simmering water from a saucepot. Make sure the bowl isn’t touching the simmering water. Melt together your butter and semi-sweet baking chocolate until fully melted. Now add your sea salt and coffee, then remove them from heat. Careful with the hot steam from your bain-marie! Cool your mocha mixture a bit before adding the confectioner’s sugar, and let it cool down completely before adding the next ingredients. Now you can add vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, and eggs; mix until fully combined. I Lastly, mix in the dry ingredients. Combine until smooth, then add your red food coloring. Now we’re ready to bake!
How To Assemble Red Velvet Mocha Lava Cake
Red Velvet Mocha Lava Cake can be easily made even if you are not an experienced baker. Follow the baking instructions in the recipe. When you’re done baking your lava cake, make sure to cool it down a bit before unmolding it. Turn it over to your serving plate; it should come out easily, especially if your ramekins are greased properly. Sift through the confectioner’s sugar and serve with fresh strawberries or your fresh fruit of choice.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate - given its higher cocoa content, semi-sweet tends to have some slight bitterness but is still sweet enough. Compared to milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate has a deeper and richer chocolate flavor.
- Strong Coffee - to achieve the mocha flavor, we’re adding coffee to this lava cake. Coffee also gives a more decadent taste with some bitter undertones, cutting through the sweetness and making it more balanced.
- Confectioner’s Sugar - also known as powdered sugar. In case you don’t have it, you can make it yourself by processing regular granulated sugar in your blender or coffee grinder.
- Vanilla Extract - essential for this recipe. To make your own vanilla extract, you can try this recipe: Homemade Vanilla Extract.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - important to achieve the deep red color we want this red velvet cake to be.
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour - Gluten-free flour, unlike regular flour, creates a more spongy texture, making it perfect for this lava cake. You can use your preferred brand or make a gluten-free flour blend yourself by following this recipe for All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Mix.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - although the taste can be very bitter when tasted by itself, it helps give the deep chocolate flavor that is desirable for chocolate cakes.
- Red Food Coloring -usually tasteless; that is why putting the right amount of food coloring is quite important not to affect the finished product’s taste. The red food coloring will enhance the red color from the chemical reaction with the apple cider vinegar and unsweetened cocoa powder mixture.
Tips & Suggestions
- Secret to making a lava cake - it is essential to set the right temperature and know the time you need to bake it to the perfect consistency, not under or over baking it. Don’t forget that baking time will vary based on the size of your ramekin. It also can vary depending on your oven and its idiosyncrasies. We recommend having a test batch to know the adjustments needed.
- Choosing the right chocolate - make sure you use high-quality chocolate that is rich in flavor. As it is the main ingredient, you will taste the difference.
- Add your favorite flavors - you can add your favorite flavors that go well with chocolate. For example, a pinch of lemon or orange zest might add a bit of a kick to your lava cake. Using a berry reduction, like raspberry or blueberry is an interesting delicious addition.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Molten Lava Cake Raw Inside?
Lava cakes are not just undercooked cakes with an unbaked center. It is a combination of traditional cake and a souffle, achieved by using very little flour and taking them out of the oven at the exact right time for the gooey center to be perfect.
Can I Reheat Molten Lava Cakes?
You can reheat your lava cakes by putting them in the oven upside down on a baking sheet. Set the temperature to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C), and depending on their size leave in the oven for about 10 minutes. Be careful not to overbake them.
Can I Use A Muffin Pan If I Don’t Have Ramekins?
If you don’t have ramekins, a muffin pan can also work for making molten lava cakes with a few adjustments. Grease the muffin pan well and generously sprinkle with cocoa to avoid your cakes sticking to it. And don’t forget to adjust the baking time, as your lava cakes will be smaller.
You Might Also Like:
Collection Of Recipes You Should Explore
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try