How To Make Garlic Jalapeno Vegetarian Meatball Sub
How To Prepare Vegetarian Meatballs
Combine all the dry ingredients to the vegan ground beef in a mixing bowl until well combined. You can use a spoon or spatula to mix them together. You can start rolling them into equal balls and set them aside on a plate. A pound of vegan ground beef can make around 12 pieces of meatballs, depending on the size of the meatballs. To cook the vegetarian meatballs, you can use a non-stick pan or a skillet, brown all sides then you can pour in the marinara sauce to the cooked meatballs and let it simmer together in low heat.
How To Assemble Garlic Jalapeno Vegetarian Meatball Sub
You can begin assembling the vegetarian meatball sub in a baking pan lined with parchment or aluminum foil. Spread some of the cooked marinara sauce on your rolls and add in some meatballs then top it with cheese slices. Melt the cheese in your pre-heated oven or broiler, cheese can melt quickly so it’s recommended to keep an eye on your subs. You can garnish your subs with jalapeno slices.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Vegan Ground Beef - usually made up of ground mushrooms, soy, or some walnuts and seeds just like this High Protein Vegan Ground Beef recipe. You can also use a store-bought pack of vegan ground beef.
- Parmesan Cheese - a great addition for its nutty flavor and gritty texture. You can use soy parmesan or nutritional yeast for vegan substitutions.
- Garlic - fresh minced garlic is a great flavor booster and will definitely add that umami flavor to your meatballs.
- Jalapeno Peppers - great tasting peppers with less heat compared to other peppers like serranos. Fresh jalapenos are bright and vegetable-like in flavor with a crunchy texture. You can also use the jarred or canned version which will have a more pickled flavor and soft texture.
- Breadcrumbs - usually added to meatball recipes, even burger patties as fillers to help retain the moisture and keeping them from being dry. Breadcrumbs also act as a binder and help keep everything together.
- Garlic Marinara Sauce - you can use your favorite brand of marinara sauce or you can also make your own with this Homemade Marinara Sauce recipe.
- Seasonings - you can use these classic seasonings: onion powder, italian seasoning, salt, and ground pepper. These will help lift the flavors and give you tasty vegetarian meatballs.
Tips & Suggestions
- It can be a little tricky to give your meatballs a taste to make sure you have the right amount of seasoning. A good tip is to take a small amount of the meatball mixture and cook it. You can adjust the seasoning based on the taste of the cooked meatball mixture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make vegetarian meatballs ahead of time?
Just like regular meatballs, vegetarian meatballs can be made ahead. You can mix them up and even roll them into balls and freeze them for up to 2 months in a freezer bag. You can both freeze up cooked and raw meatballs.
How do you reheat leftover meatballs with sauce?
It’ll be easier and quicker to reheat thawed meatballs, if they’re frozen. You can thaw the meatballs overnight in the fridge. It is best to reheat the meatballs by putting them in a baking dish and covering it with an aluminum foil and baking it for about 30-45 minutes or until meatballs are heated through.
You Might Also Like:
Collection Of Recipes You Should Explore
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try