How To Make Creamy Green Bean Casserole
How To Blanch Green Beans
Blanching vegetables is an easy and quick way to retain their flavor, color, and texture. Begin with adding the clean green beans to a boiling pot of water for about 5 minutes, remove them quickly, and put the green beans into an ice bath. This process will shock the vegetables, stop the cooking, and help retain their bright green color.
How To Prepare Mushroom Sauce Mixture
There is no need to pre-cook this mushroom sauce mixture. You can just combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until everything is well combined. It will be easier to work with softened cream cheese; you can take it out of the fridge a little ahead of time. Mix in the chopped mushrooms and fried onions just before adding in the blanched green beans.
How To Cook Creamy Bean Casserole
After mixing the green beans into the mushroom sauce mixture, pour everything into a baking dish or casserole dish. Flatten it out before putting it in your pre-heated oven, bake it for half an hour or until there’s subtle browning on top. To get an even cook all the way through, take it out after baking for 30 minutes and stir the green bean mixture. Flatten it out again, sprinkle the fried onions on top, and bake it until the topping is golden brown or for about 5 minutes.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Green Beans - also known as snap beans or strings beans. They are an excellent source of fiber, omega-3, vitamins, and minerals. You can keep them in the freezer for up to 6 months. You can blanch them before freezing them to keep in the nutrients and texture.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup - a classic base for casseroles. Canned mushroom soup can easily be found in stores, and probably the most popular brand is Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup.
- Sour Cream - adds creaminess and tangy flavor to this Thanksgiving classic.
- Cream Cheese - this rich, soft, and creamy cheese adds more flavor to this casserole. You can always use the Philadelphia cream cheese or make your Homemade Cream Cheese in just 10 minutes.
- Mushrooms - although we like the umami of fresh mushrooms, canned sliced mushrooms work well with this recipe. They have a milder flavor but still, have a fleshy texture.
- Fried Onions - crispy fried onions are readily available in stores. If you have a go-to brand, go ahead and use it, or you can also try French’s Crispy Fried Onions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you thicken green bean casserole?
If you suddenly end up with a soupy green bean casserole, you can mix in some flour or a slurry. A slurry is a mixture of cornstarch and water. Make sure to mix in the flour or slurry before baking your green bean casserole.
How long can you keep the made-ahead green bean casserole?
You can prepare everything in the same dish where you plan to bake the green bean casserole and cover it tightly with a plastic wrap or foil. It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You Might Also Like:
Collection of Recipes You Should Explore
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try