• Technically a fruit, the avocado is pretty special. They are grown in warmer climates between 45° North and 60° South latitude. Avocados mature on trees, but can only ripen once picked. All avocados are still picked by hand.
• Check for ripeness by peeling back the stem cap on top. If it doesn’t budge, it’s not ripe yet. If green, it’s great for snacking, and if it’s brown, it’s already mushy and overripe.
• If you buy hard or green avocados they will take 4-5 days to ripen. Keep ‘em on the counter at room temperature.
• If you are in a rush, put them in a paper bag with a banana for the fastest ripening.
• Once ripe, avocados will last for up to 10 days if you store them in your refrigerator's vegetable drawer.
• Did you only use half? Preserve the other half by keeping the seed inside and sticking in the fridge.
• Swap out butter for avocado in your next batch of brownies- they will be just as rich and chock full of healthy fats.
• Does your hair need a boost? Before your next shower, mash half an avocado and then add two eggs whites. Work the mixture into your hair and leave on for 15 min to moisturize. Wash as usual.
Avocados pack a healthy punch containing nearly 20 essential nutrients such as fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, Vitamin B and folic acid. On top of that, avocados help the body absorb more fat-soluble nutrients such as carotenes.
• Avocados have an enzyme (def: molecules that help reactions happen) that starts a process combining the air’s oxygen with the avocado’s polyphenols, which turns them into molecules called melanins, which are dark in color = brown spots!
• But, this enzyme can’t function if the environment is too hot or too acidic/basic, and the cold slows it down. That’s why we squeeze lemon juice on avocado flesh, and keep leftovers in the fridge.
• Dipping an avocado in boiling water would work too, but it would be gross. Save that for the similarly-browning apple.
Corrections or improvements? Email us at
Avocado & Lime Dip
Avocado Toast with Charred Tomato & Garlic Shrimp
Avocado Omelette Breakfast Mug
Green Goddess Egg Salad with Avocado
Feasting at Home
Chilled Cucumber and Avocado Soup with Shrimp
Mei's Sushi Style Guac
Avocado Pesto Pasta
Vodka & Biscuits