• All-purpose flour or AP flour is made from a blend of high-gluten hard wheat and low-gluten soft wheat. As the name suggests, this type of flour is suitable for all kinds of recipes and is formulated to have a medium gluten content of around 12%.
• AP flour is a fine-textured flour milled from the inner part of the wheat kernel and contains neither the germ (the sprouting part) nor the bran (the outer coating).
• Flour is the key ingredient for cakes, breads, and can also be used for thickening sauces or dredging meats and vegetables prior to cooking.
• Combine equal parts flour, salt and white vinegar. Apply the mixture to your brass or copper with a sponge, let it dry, rinse with warm water and buff it with a dry cloth.
• Does your stainless steel sink look dingy and dull? Flour can brighten it up. Sprinkle flour on the sink when it is dry. Rub it with a soft cloth and let it sit then rinse away for a lustrous shine.
• If your avocados are not ripe, put them in a bowl then cover them with flour. Let them sit for a day or so until they ripen. Now you're ready for guacamole!
• Are you trying to fight a few acne blemishes? Mix equal amounts of flour and honey agave nectar. Put the paste on your pimple, cover with a band-aid overnight and see the swelling go down by the time you wake up the next day.
• Flush out toxins in your skin with a mask made from red grapes and flour. Mash a cup of red grapes into pulp then add a few tablespoons of flour. Turn the mix into a paste and apply to your face for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water and dry gently.
Gluten is what makes dough elastic and gives it structure, but what’s the gluten-free diet all about? Gluten causes inflammation in the small intestines of people with celiac disease and they cannot absorb nutrients properly into the body which means they cannot eat food with gluten such as pizza, pasta or bread.
Some people choose to be on a gluten-free diet but the truth is you don't have to cut out gluten because the stars are doing it. When you cut out gluten, you cut out a lot of junk food, which research suggests could be a large factor in some people suddenly feel better when they go gluten-free. So if you are looking to make a change, try cutting junk food first!
All purpose flour is full of carbs and iron, it also contains a level of selenium. Selenium is responsible for the proper activity of enzymes which detoxify the body.
U.S. law requires that all flours not containing wheat germ must have niacin, riboflavin, thiamin and iron added. Individual millers sometimes also add vitamins A and D.
• Make your own play dough! Just mix up 1 cup of flour with 1 cup of warm water and a half cup of salt with a tablespoon of vegetable oil to create your own play dough. You can add cream of tartar to improve consistency and your choice of food color.
Corrections or improvements? Email us at
Breakfast Sausage Biscuit Gravy Casserole
Lady and Pups
Buttermilk Lemon Chess Pie
Fork vs Spoon
Pistachio Pound Cake
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Garlic & Zest
Blueberry and Peach Cobbler
Vodka & Biscuits
Bourbon Biscoff Blondies
The Sweet Chick