• With its unique shape and beautiful color, star anise is an incredibly unique spice. It is the fruit of a tree that grows in southwest China and Vietnam.
• This spice is commonly used in mulled wine, chai, and pho. The oil from star anise is typically used in products such as soap, toothpaste, and body creams.
• Store in an airtight container. Whole star anise should stay fresh for up to 2 years if stored properly.
• If guests are coming over and you want your house to smell welcoming, combine water, lemon or orange juice, cinnamon and star anise in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat. Your house will smell fantastic!
• Add star anise to hot water for a comforting tea.
Star anise has antioxidants and is a good source of calcium, copper, iron, and manganese.
• Japanese star anise is poisonous and should not be eaten.
Corrections or improvements? Email us at