• Chicken is a beloved and tasty protein source. Wild chickens were first domesticated in China in 8,000 BCE. Today, eight billion chickens are consumed each year in the U.S. alone.
• The chicken is the closest living relative of the massive and mighty T-rex dinosaur!
• Select chicken with pink rather than graying flesh in a tightly sealed package with no leaks
• Raw or cooked chicken can be stored safely in a refrigerator for up to 3 days. On the other hand, ground poultry or chicken giblets should only be kept in the fridge for up to a day. Longer than this then you should keep it in the freezer (for up to a year!).
• The best way to thaw chicken is in the refrigerator, but it’ll take you an entire day for a 4-pound chicken. Smaller pre-cut pieces will take 3-9 hours. If you are in a hurry, microwave unwrapped chicken for 2 min at a time and check progress.
• Chicken fat can replace or compliment butter and oil in many savory dishes.
• Make chicken soup in a slow-cooker––it’ll be ready when you get home from work.
• Use a beer can to steam chicken (and hold it up) on the BBQ.
Even though chicken skin has high amount of fat, it’s worth noting that it’s mostly unsaturated fat. On top of that, it keeps the chicken moist and flavorful while it roasts, so you can use less salt.
Chicken meat contains about two to three times as much polyunsaturated fat than most types of red meat, which can help reduce bad cholesterol and reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke.
The eggs of chickens are known to be a good source of lutein. This carotenoid is known for maintaining healthy eyes.
• The color of chicken meat is actually related to how much dark-colored myoglobin it contains. That compound supports the muscles’ ability to transport oxygen, so muscles that are used more intensely have more myoglobin. Chickens don’t use their wings very much, leaving it and the breast whiter in color and the meat on the legs darker.
Corrections or improvements? Email us at
Chinese Chicken Salad Burgers
Chicken Parmesan Wonton Cups
The Sweet Chick
Grilled Chicken with Herb Dry Rub
Garlic & Zest
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wrap
Sriracha Chicken Skewers with Peaches and Basil
Picture The Recipe
One Pan Herb & Citrus Roast Chicken
Vodka & Biscuits
Soak and Smoke Chicken
General Tso’s Chicken
30 Pounds of Apples
Ras El Hanout Braised Chicken Legs