How To Make Fried Fish Patties
How To Prepare Fish Patties From Scratch
While boiling the fish filets, you can begin with making the fish batter by mixing all the ingredients. The batter should be ready when it’s smooth and everything is well combined. Set it aside until ready to use. Once the salted cod fillets are fully cooked and falling apart, drain them well and cool for a few minutes just until cool to the touch. Shred the fish and combine with the prepared batter. Stir everything together and you’re now ready to cook!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Salted Cod - more flavorful compared to fresh cod. Salted cod has a firmer texture than fresh cod and is more savory with less fishy flavor. You can also use salted pollock for this recipe.
- All-Purpose Flour - will be used as the base of the batter and will give the crispy texture of the fried fish patties. You can also use gluten-free flour.
- Sazon Culantro Y Achiote - an excellent seasoning with cilantro and annatto flavors. The orange color will also come from this seasoning with the achiote or annatto. One of the most popular brands for this is Goya and can easily be found in Hispanic aisles in grocery stores.
- Sofrito - the Puerto Rican version of sofrito is a fresh mixture of strong aromatic flavors. Typically made from onions, garlic, cilantro, tomatoes, and different types of peppers.
Tips & Suggestions
- Desalt the cod before using it to rehydrate the fish and wash off the salt before boiling it. You can rinse off the salted cod in fresh running water or soak and gently scrub out salt. Then soak the rinsed cod in fresh cold water for 12-24 hours in the refrigerator, changing the water every few hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
What other fish can I use to make Bacalaitos?
You can use any white fish similar to cod such as pollock, haddock, hake, etc.
How long do I fry bacalaitos?
Test fry a fritter of bacalaito for about 3 minutes and flip it over to cook the other side. Fry it for another 3 minutes until it is golden brown and crispy. Allow the fritter to drain excess oil on a rack to remain crispy.
You Might Also Like:
Collection of Recipes You Should Explore
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try