How To Make Homemade BBQ Sauce
How To Prepare the BBQ Mixture?
You can mix everything together first in a mixing bowl or just go straight to your saucepan. If creating a big batch, we recommend using a stockpot. Combine all the ingredients, including liquid smoke, if using, until thoroughly combined. You can use a whisk or a wooden spoon.
How To Cook the BBQ Sauce
In a medium heat setting, bring to a boil your bbq sauce mixture. Once it starts to boil, put your heat setting to low and simmer it for 15 minutes. Cool it down before serving. Now you are all set to host your backyard bbq!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Ketchup - usually used as a base for many sauces, it’s no wonder why this sweet and tangy condiment will be a great base for our bbq sauce! You can use your favorite store-bought ketchup or elevate your BBQ sauce even more with this Homemade Ketchup!
- Apple Cider Vinegar - this pantry staple is one of the key ingredients in this bbq sauce recipe. The slightly sweet acidic flavor will bring out the tanginess of your sauce.
- Brown Sugar - sweet with a hint of caramel gives your sauce the right balance of sweetness.It also helps in caramelization, giving your barbecue its beautiful color. You can substitute brown sugar with honey; however, you might only need half the amount if using honey because of its stronger sugar taste.
- Paprika - the earthy and smoky flavor of this spice adds depth to the sauce’s flavor while also adding some heat.
- Ground Cumin - typically seen in curries and other Mexican dishes, cumin adds in earthy flavor with some bitter notes, making it a welcome addition to our bbq sauce.
- Liquid Smoke - although this is optional, this is a great flavor to add in to have the perfect barbecue smoke flavor even if you don’t use your grill.
Tips & Suggestions
- Don’t forget to taste your bbq sauce - what’s great about making your own bbq sauce is you can adjust the ingredients depending on how sweet or how tangy you want it to be.
- Making it spicy - if you want to make spicy bbq sauce, you can add ground cayenne powder or chile powder.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Store Homemade Bbq Sauce?
- Make sure to cool down your bbq sauce completely before storing it. You can either put it in a mason jar with a tight seal or any airtight container. You can store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- You can also freeze your homemade bbq sauce! It’s advisable to store it in a freezer-friendly container or bag; it’ll last for up to 3 months.
You Might Also Like
Learn More About BBQ Smoker Rrecipes
Other Popular BBQ Recipes You Should Try