How To Make Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza
How To Prepare The Stuffed Crust
Prepare your sheet pan or pizza pan then on a floured surface, roll out your fresh pizza dough making sure it’ll fill the sheet pan with some extra for the edge of the pan. Place the dough in your baking pan, overlapping the edges to create some room for the mozzarella cheese sticks. Place in your mozzarella sticks a couple of inches from the edge and fold over the dough to form the stuffed crust.
How To Assemble The Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza
Spread an even layer of pureed or crushed San Marzano tomatoes over the crust and top it with torn Buffalo mozzarella. You can put as much as you like, we won’t judge! Brush some olive oil on the crust edges to help it get a good color and crunch. Bake for about 20 minutes in a preheated oven. Once fully cooked, garnish it with some chiffonade basil (cut into thin strips) and a pinch of sea salt flakes. Slice and serve immediately.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Fresh Pizza Dough - use any brand of pizza dough you like, but nothing beats this Homemade Pizza Dough recipe! Give it a try.
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks - when choosing your mozzarella cheese sticks, choose a brand with a great cheese pull.
- San Marzano Tomatoes - compared with other tomato varieties, San Marzano has a richer flavor, softer in texture, and milder acidity. You can also use any canned plum crushed red tomatoes.
- Buffalo Mozzarella Ball - known for its creaminess and soft texture, it also delivers a certain tanginess and depth in flavor. You can substitute this with a Burrata.
- Basil - can we even call this pizza a Margherita pizza without this peppery herb? Basil gives the touch of vibrant freshness that balances the creaminess of mozzarella and the acidity of tomatoes.
Tips & Suggestions
- Toppings - now that you know the basics, you can easily experiment with other toppings! You can add some pepperoni for your kids or even have your kids make their own stuffed crust pizza.
- Stuffed crust - just like experimenting with the toppings, you can also try experimenting with your crust stuffings. You can also try to make Pizza Hut’s cheese and meat stuffed crust by adding either bacon, sausage, or pepperoni.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Make This Margherita Pizza Vegan?
To make this pizza recipe vegan, you can use Vegan Mozzarella Cheese or even Vegan Cream Cheese.
Can You Make This Ahead?
You can prepare each of your components ahead. If you’re making your own pizza dough, you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make sure it’s covered in a plastic wrap or an airtight container and brush it with some olive oil to prevent a dry surface.
You Might Also Like
Learn More About Pizza Recipes
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try