How To Make Creamy Cajun Grilled Shrimp Salad
How To Prepare Cajun Shrimp
Toss the cleaned and deveined shrimps into your prepared cajun seasoning until fully coated. Use a grill pan or a skillet pan for cooking the shrimp. Since shrimps cook quickly, keep an eye on them and flip them once they have a nice caramelization. Cooking time depends on the size of the shrimps. Once cooked, set them aside until ready to assemble.
How To Make Avocado Dressing
Use a blender for a quick and easy avocado dressing. In your blender, combine the avocado halves, ranch dressing, water, lime juice, and salt & pepper. Blend until smooth. Don’t forget to give it a quick taste to adjust the seasoning to your preference. Set it aside in the fridge until ready to use.
How To Assemble Creamy Cajun Grilled Shrimp Salad
After tossing the salad greens, cherry tomatoes, and corn with the creamy avocado dressing, you can serve it in a bowl or a plate. Top the salad with some grilled cajun shrimps and serve with some toasted bread.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Shrimp - to save time and make it less messy, we recommend getting a bag of already peeled and deveined shrimp from the store. Thaw it overnight and make sure to pat dry them before cooking. Shrimp can be delicate to cook since they cook very quickly and can turn gummy when overcooked, so it’s necessary to watch it closely when cooking.
- Cajun Seasoning - a Louisiana classic flavor that is a spicy blend of paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano. You can make your own blend or get your go-to store brand cajun seasoning.
- Sweet Corn Kernels - although we use fresh corn for this recipe, you can also use canned corn or frozen corn. Canned corn tends to be sweeter and has a more buttery flavor which is great for this salad recipe.
- Salad Greens - depending on your salad mix preference, you can choose your favorite mix like a Spring Mix, Spinach Mix, or even make your own with some of your leftover greens too.
- Cherry Tomatoes is a great addition for its added health benefits and for texture and flavor that balances the creamy salad and cajun flavor.
- Avocado - is mild tasting with a creamy, buttery texture that makes the dressing taste and feel extra rich.
- Ranch Dressing - the tangy flavor of this dressing goes well with the cajun spice and makes a great base for the creamy dressing.
Tips & Suggestions
- It’s better to cook the shrimp in batches and not to overcrowd the pan. Depending on the size of the shrimp you are using, you should cook it for about 2 minutes on each side.
- If you like to make this salad extra spicy and fiery, add some cayenne pepper or chili flakes. If you prefer a milder flavor, reduce the amount of Cajun seasoning or take cayenne out of the mix if you’re making your own seasoning mixture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Frozen Shrimp for Cajun Shrimp Salad?
Using frozen shrimp is absolutely fine, but it does taste best with fresh shrimp.
Is Cajun Shrimp Salad Good for Weight Loss?
This salad is perfect for volume eating. Shrimp is incredibly low in calories and mixed with fresh leafy greens; this salad makes a very filling and satisfying meal. It is low-calorie and low-carb.
You Might Also Like:
Collection of Recipes You Should Explore
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try