• Chicken wings are sold both whole and broken down into drumettes and flats. They are most often prepared in American cuisine as southern fried chicken and as buffalo wings - the ubiquitous football food.
• Select chicken with pink rather than graying flesh in a tightly sealed package with no leaks.
• Purchase about 5 whole wings or 10 buffalo wings per person for a main course.
• Raw or cooked chicken can be stored safely in a refrigerator at 40°F or lower for up to 3 days.
• Chicken can be frozen raw in its packaging for up to a year. The best way to thaw chicken is in the refrigerator. The wings will take between 3 to 6 hours to defrost.
Chicken skin has had a bad rap for being high in fat. But it’s worth noting that it’s mostly unsaturated fat, plus it keeps the chicken moist and flavorful while it roasts, so you can use less salt.
Chicken meat contains about two to three times as much polyunsaturated fat than most types of red meat, which can help reduce bad cholesterol and reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke.
Corrections or improvements? Email us at
Gorgonzola Crusted Chicken Wings
SEE Salt TV
Lemon Ginger Sticky Wings
Baked Honey Lime Chicken Wings
The Frugal Chef
Mango Chipotle Wings
Ramen-Crusted Chicken Wings
Sweet Chipotle Glazed Wings
Vodka & Biscuits
Honey Sriracha Lime Wings
Garlic & Zest