How To Make Warm Butternut Squash Dip with Gruyere and Pistachios
How To Prepare Butternut Squash
Bake the seasoned and cut butternut squash in a 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) preheated oven. Make sure to deseed the squash and bake it cut side down. To test if the butternut squash is already cooked, you can use a fork to poke it, and it should be fork-tender. The roasting time depends on the size of the butternut squash. For this recipe, the baking time was 45 minutes. When squash is fork-tender, take it out of the oven and cool it down before scooping out the flesh. Set it aside until ready to assemble.
How To Assemble Warm Butternut Squash Dip with Gruyere and Pistachios
To assemble, mix in the garlic, mayonnaise, gruyere, cayenne, and fresh parsley to the butternut squash flesh until well combined. Once combined, you can transfer it to a ramekin or any oven-safe dish you will also use to serve it. Top it with the remaining grated cheese and pistachios and bake until the cheese is fully melted. Make sure to keep an eye on it to avoid burning the pistachios. Best to serve it immediately or while warm.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Butternut Squash - this sweet and nutty winter squash variety is available all year round. You can substitute it with acorn squash since they almost have the same flavor profile.
- Mayonnaise - this tangy and creamy condiment works well with this dip and helps it bind the ingredients together. You can find it in many stores, but you can also make this Classic Mayonnaise at home.
- Gruyere Cheese - a great tasting cheese that is creamy and nutty in flavor. It also melts great; that’s why it’s a common cheese for fondues, gratins, or other baked goods with cheese.
- Pistachios - packed with fiber and protein, this slightly sweet nut is so flavorful, you can enjoy it by itself.
Tips & Suggestions
- You can make this egg-free by using creme fraiche or Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
- If you want to make this warm appetizer vegan, you can substitute the mayonnaise with coconut yogurt and use your go-to vegan-friendly cheese instead of gruyere.
You Might Also Like:
Collection of Recipes You Should Explore
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try