How To Make Cheeseless Bean & Cheese Burritos
How To Make Cheeseless Cheese Sauce From Scratch
To make the cheeseless cheese sauce, you will only need the prepared ingredients, seasonings, and a blender. Make sure to boil the carrots until fork tender to have a smooth texture since this will be the base for the cheeseless cheese sauce. First, blend together the carrots, soft tofu, and onions until smooth. After which, you can add the remaining ingredients and seasonings and blend everything together. Set it aside until ready to use.
How To Assemble Cheeseless Bean & Cheese Burritos
When putting the fillings to your flour tortilla, make sure to leave spaces for folding. You can layer it with taco sauce, cheeseless cheese sauce, refried beans, and some fresh minced onions. Begin with folding the sides to keep everything tucked in and fold in the bottom half. To have a tighter fold, fold in the sides before the final fold. To serve, you can toast both sides of the burrito in a heated oiled skillet. Garnish with some fresh cilantro and serve with vegan sour cream on the side.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Carrot - Its color contributes to help mimic the orange color of the cheese sauce.
- Soft Tofu - soft tofu adds creamy texture and protein to vegan recipes.
- Onion - will be used in both the cheeseless sauce and for assembling the burritos. Onions add umami flavor and you can use white or yellow onion for this recipe.
- Nutritional Yeast - is salty, nutty, and cheesy. Adding nutritional yeast to sauces gives saltiness and cheesiness without the dairy. It also acts like a thickening agent.
- Refried Beans - you can use any store-bought refried beans or make your own with this simple refried beans recipe.
- Flour Tortilla - a large or extra large flour tortilla works best for this burrito recipe to be able to roll it properly. You can also use this Homemade Tortilla recipe to make your own and also adjust the size to your liking.
Tips & Suggestions
- This burrito recipe can be enjoyed even if you’re non-vegan or non-vegetarian! You can add in any meat that you like like shredded chicken or ground beef!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can this cheeseless burrito be made ahead?
Yes! You can assemble it already and wrap it tightly on a foil and keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months and up to 4 days in the fridge. You can also make ahead the fillings and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days and months in the freezer.
How to reheat leftover burrito?
If you wrapped it in an aluminum foil, remove it and wrap the burrito in a paper towel and microwave it for 60 seconds. You can also grill it by keeping it wrapped with foil and place it directly on the grill.
You Might Also Like:
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try