How To Make Grilled Portobello Mushroom Pasta Salad
How To Prepare The Grilled Portobello Mushroom
To make this simple but filling warm pasta salad, start with the portobello mushroom marinade. In a small mixing bowl, combine the ingredients and whisk until fully combined or the olive oil is emulsified with the balsamic vinegar. Set aside 1/4 of the marinade for the pasta dressing later. Marinate your cleaned whole portobello mushrooms while preparing the pasta salad. Cook the pasta until al dente. Once cooked, drizzle some olive oil and set aside until ready to assemble. You can use a grill pan for the mushroom for some grill marks and extra smoky flavor, but you can also use a skillet. Cook the portobello mushroom for about 4 minutes on each side and brush some of the marinade halfway. Set aside to cool down a little bit before assembling the pasta salad.
How To Prepare The Pasta Salad
Prepare the pasta mixture using a large mixing bowl and tossing together the: cooked pasta, arugula, grated parmesan cheese, seasoning, and the marinade you kept aside from the mushrooms. Place the sliced grilled portobello mushrooms over the pasta salad and serve with freshly shaved parmesan.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Portobello Mushrooms - a favorite meat alternative for its meaty texture and full of umami flavor. We'll only be using the caps for this recipe but don't throw away the stems; you can use the stems for a homemade vegetable broth.
- Balsamic Vinegar - this sweet vinegar’s rich and complex flavor complements the mushroom’s umami flavor and the spicy, peppery taste of the arugula.
- Olive Oil - robust and bold in flavor with many health benefits. There are different varieties of olive oil in the market, but depending on your preferred strength of flavor, you can choose either pure olive oil or extra virgin olive oil for this vinaigrette.
- Lemon - to give your palate a bit more lift and brightness, use both the lemon juice and its zest for that extra vibrant flavor.
- Fusilli Pasta - this pasta salad recipe is a great way to use your leftover fusilli, penne, or bowtie pasta. Don't forget to season the water well to get a great-tasting pasta! Follow the package directions for a perfect al dente.
- Arugula - spicy, peppery, with slight bitterness is such a great flavor that will go well with the other flavors in this dish. If arugula is not your thing, you can also use baby spinach or a bag of your favorite greens.
- Parmesan Cheese - nutty and flavorful "king of cheese" is almost always best paired with all types of salad. Its flavor doesn't overpower but balances the vinaigrette and adds some salt flavor.
Tips & Suggestions
- It is essential to season your pasta while it’s still warm to help it absorb all the flavors from the dressing. This tip will give you a tastier pasta salad dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can this mushroom pasta salad be made ahead?
This pasta salad can be made in advance; it’s advisable to eat it within two days to keep everything tasting fresh and not end up being too soggy to eat.
How to store leftover pasta salad or meal prep?
You can store your cooked pasta salad in an airtight container and store it in the fridge and not in the freezer to preserve the freshness and texture of the pasta and the greens.
You Might Also Like:
Collection Of Recipes You Should Explore
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try