How To Make the Best Green Bean Casserole From Scratch
How To Prepare the Green Beans
Blanche the green beans. Boil the fresh green beans in water just until tender, quickly cool with icy cold water and that’s it. Should take you about 5 minutes.
How To Prepare the Cream of Mushroom Soup From Scratch
Sauté onions and garlic in butter till softened, add portobello mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Let them saute for a few more minutes, stir in the flour, add the chicken broth and half and half. Cook till thickened. Should take 5-8 minutes. If you are using cornstarch, first directly add it into your chicken stock and then onto the pan. Mix green beans and cream of mushroom soup, transfer to your casserole dish, top with breadcrumbs and onions, and it’s ready for the oven. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees F.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Green Beans - the key ingredient in this dish, so make sure you choose wisely. You can use frozen or canned green beans, but we highly recommend going for fresh. It just gives it more texture and crispiness.
- Portobello Mushrooms - we chose this kind of mushroom to make the mushroom soup for the green bean casserole from scratch. Portobello mushrooms have a wonderfully earthy flavor and are often described as meaty. They are one of the key reasons this casserole tastes so good, providing an intense umami flavor boost.
- All-purpose Flour - flour is our thickening agent, giving the creamy texture to the mushroom soup.
- Fried Onions - the only ingredient here we don’t actually make from scratch. We recommend French’s Fried onions, cause they just taste perfect in this dish. You can’t beat them, truly perfect for the crispy onion topping.
- Cheese - cheese is optional, but if you want to add some cheesy flavor to the green bean casserole, go for Cheddar cheese, it blends perfectly with all the flavors.
Tips & Suggestions
- If you don’t like the taste of mushrooms, just use double the amount of onions in the green bean soup, and make it into a cream of onion soup. It also tastes absolutely delicious.
- If you like a bit of a spicy kick add some finely-chopped jalapeño to the onion topping. Or a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning into the soup. They pair with the other flavors in the casserole real well.
- You can add some bacon and make it extra special. After all, bacon does make everything better. Fry up some bacon and dice it up to add directly to your green bean and sauce mix. And you can take it even further and sauté the onions and mushrooms in the leftover bacon grease too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My Green Bean Casserole Too Soupy/Runny?
If your cream of mushroom sauce seems too runny, you can return it on the stovetop and thicken a bit more over medium heat. Adding a little bit of cornstarch can also help.
How Long Can I Keep My Green Bean Casserole in the Fridge?
The leftovers are good to be refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. You can easily reheat it in the oven. Reheat your green bean casserole for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees F. If it starts looking too brown and toasty, cover it with some aluminum foil.
You Might Also Like
Recipe Collection You Should Explore:
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try: