How To Make Copycat Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme
How To Make the Meat Mixture for Taco Bell Crunchwrap
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat (for about 2-3 minutes). You can use your potato masher to easily break up the beef as it’s cooking. Once browned, remove some of the fat, and add your tomato paste, taco seasoning mix, and water. Stir to combine and continue cooking over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the meat is cooked and has a thick saucy texture. If it still looks a bit dry, simply add a few splashes of water. Your taco bell homemade beef is ready. Set it aside till it’s time to assemble the wrap.
How To Make Nacho Cheese Sauce
Start by creating the roux (a sauce thickening mixture of butter and flour). Whisk the butter and flour in a small saucepan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Keep an eye on the roux and lower the heat if it starts browning too fast. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue whisking until the mixture thickens. Should take about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the shredded cheddar cheese, some chili powder, and salt. Use a spatula to mix it all together, until the cheese is completely melted and you have a smooth and gooey sauce texture. If your cheese sauce looks too thick, just add a splash of milk and thin it out until it’s your desired consistency.
How To Assemble and Fold Taco Bell Crunchwrap Copycat
First lay the tortilla on a flat surface. Put a layer of the meat in the center in a rough circle. It should be roughly the size of the tostada. Pour the nacho cheese sauce on top of the beef and cover it with a tostada shell. Spread some sour cream on top of the tostada, and add a little bit of your favorite hot sauce if you’d like. Top it all with diced tomatoes and a handful of lettuce, and it’s ready to be folded. Start from any side and simply fold it towards the center, tightly against the tostada. Hold the folded side in place with one hand and proceed to fold the other side over towards the center. Repeat 2 more times, until you have a familiar Taco Bell crunchwrap closed-off pentagon.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Ground Beef - go for shoulder ground chuck 15-20% fat. This kind of ground beef is the most flavorful, moist, and tender, perfect for the crunchwrap. You can also substitute it for a healthier ground turkey, or any plant-based meat substitute of your choice.
- Tomato Paste - don’t skip this ingredient. Tomato paste is an amazing umami agent and is essential for this recipe.
- Flour Tortilla - XL size tortillas are best for this recipe, it will be easier to fit all the delicious fillings inside and wrap without spilling. If you have smaller tortillas, just adjust the amount of filling and make mini versions of the crunchwrap. You can make this 100% homemade if you choose to make Homemade Flour Tortilla yourself, then you are free to make the size you prefer as well.
- Tostada Shells - these are responsible for the crunch in your crunchwrap. You can substitute them with hard taco shells if needed.
- Taco Seasoning - you can choose a ready-to-use store-bought taco seasoning blend. But it is so easy to make if you follow the instructions below.
- Nacho Cheese Sauce - if you are looking for an easy way to make this wrap simply go for store-bought nacho cheese sauce. It is an acceptable time-saving substitute. If you prefer a vegan dairy-free sauce, check out this recipe for Cheeseless Nacho Cheese, it’s just as delicious.
- Cheddar Cheese - cheddar is what makes the sauce so rich and delicious. Feel free to choose your favorite cheese blend, but make sure it includes cheddar.
Tips & Suggestions
- You can make a big batch of the homemade nacho cheese sauce from this recipe and use it later for serving. Or serve it as a dip for a potluck party alongside these Homemade Tortilla Chips or any other dipper of your choice.
- The Crunchwrap is best assembled and eaten immediately. But if you are planning on a big party and want to do some prep, just mix the beef with the cheese sauce and you can refrigerate it for up to 2 days. When the time comes, just reheat and you’re all set to assemble your homemade crunchwraps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make a Vegan-Friendly Crunchwrap?
You can make this recipe 100% vegan with a couple of simple ingredient swaps. Replace the meat with any vegan meat substitute you like, such as tempeh, tofu, jackfruit, or any of the ready-made substitutes available to you. The next thing to swap is the sauce. And there’s nothing easier than this Cheeseless Nacho Cheese Sauce
. A vegan taco bell crunchwrap supreme is just as delicious as well.
How Do I Make a Taco Seasoning Mix From Scratch?
Making your own homemade taco seasoning is so easy, you’ll wonder why you have ever bought the pre-made mix in the first place. All you have to do is combine 2 tbsp. of chili powder, ½ tbsp. of ground cumin, 1 tsp. of smoked paprika, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp granulated sugar, 1 tsp. cornstarch, ½ tsp. Kosher salt, and a dash of cayenne pepper. You can easily make a bigger batch adjusting the ingredients and store it in a sealed spice jar for up to 2 years.
You Might Also Like
Learn More About This Homestyle Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme