How To Make Pork Chops With Apple And Onion
How To Prepare Pork Chops
- Take the pork chops out of the fridge a few minutes before cooking, let them come to room temperature. Rub the chops with salt and ground black pepper generously.
- Using a cast-iron skillet, heat up cooking oil at medium-high heat. Sear the chops until golden brown on each side. The searing time depends on the thickness of your pork chops, our half-inch chops took about 3 minutes on each side.
- Add in your herbs and butter and cook until the meat is fully done, then transfer the pork chops to a shallow dish. Using the same pan, caramelize the apples and onions.
How To Prepare Caramelized Apples And Onions
Using the same pan, decrease the heat, add butter, and throw in sliced red onions. Stir continuously until the butter is fully melted. Add both types of apples into the pan. Stir in and proceed to add brown sugar, salt, ground black pepper, apple cider vinegar, and vegetable broth. Continue cooking until you get good caramelization. It took us about 5-7 minutes. Don’t forget to scrape the bottom to get all the tasty brown bits.
How To Assemble Pork Chops With Caramelized Apples And Onions
When the apples and onions are caramelized, you’re ready to assemble this vibrant pork chop dish. Put pork chops cooked with thyme and garlic back in the pan and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Add more flavor to the pork chops basting the sauce over them.
Garnish with some fresh parsley and serve immediately.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Pork Chops - pork is the main ingredient in many dishes from many world cuisines.
- Go for a bone-in pork chop to prevent it from drying out. The bone will also intensify the flavors.
- Make sure you take the pork chops out of the fridge 30 minutes before you start cooking. For the best result, they must be room temperature.
- Let cooked pork chops rest for about 10 minutes before cutting into them.
- Use thinner slices of pork for this recipe, about half an inch. You can use a thicker cut, but make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Unsalted Butter - butter can add flavor to almost any dish. When added to pork it also helps the meat to stay juicy and keep in the flavors. Try making your own butter from cold heavy cream, it’s not as difficult as you might think. Try this recipe for homemade Anchovy Butter, easy and quick.
- Apples - we’re using both the Granny Smith Apples and Fuji Apples. Granny Smith apples have a more tart taste which makes them great for baking and cooking. Fuji apples add sweetness and a bit of crispiness to this recipe.
- Red Onion - the mildest and less "oniony" variety of onions from its cousins. Red onions complement the sweetness of the apples, making them a great addition to this recipe.
- Brown Sugar - aside from its caramel-like taste, brown sugar helps in caramelizing the onions and apples also adding moisture to the whole dish.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - one of our favorite pantry staples, apple cider vinegar aside from its health benefits also enhances the tangy flavor in many recipes. It also helps in deglazing pans.
- Vegetable Broth - add more flavor to this recipe by swapping water for vegetable broth. Using Homemade Vegetable Broth will take your dish to yet another level. So much better than a store-bought variety.
- Thyme - known for its sharp aroma and woody flavor, a great herb to complement any pork dish.
Tips & Suggestions
- Side Dish - you can serve these pork chops with any side of your choice. These Garlic Smashed Potatoes or Roasted Brussels Sprouts, for example, are a perfect combination.
- Brining Pork - if you’re using a thicker cut of pork chops, leave the meat in brine for a few hours. It is the best way to make sure your pork cooks evenly and keeps all the flavors and juices in.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can This Pork Chop With Caramelized Apples And Onions Be Made Ahead?
You can definitely prepare all the ingredients ahead of time, but we highly recommend serving these pork chops fresh. You will inevitably lose some flavor and texture if you reheat them. The recipe only takes 30 minutes to make.
Can You Store Leftover Pork Chop With Caramelized Apples And Onions?
Keep your leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat the dish in a microwave as well.
You Might Also Like
Learn More About One-Dish Recipes
Other Popular Recipes You Should Try